Earlier this year after APRICOT 2018, I posted a list of visible Facebook FNA (CDN caching) nodes across the world with IPv4, IPv6 and the AS name. I got quite a few mails in following months about people mentioning that they installed nodes but do not see their names in the list (and that was normal since list was static).
I re-ran my script to see emailslatest status of nodes. During last check I saw 1689 nodes (3rd March). Now on 26th Aug i.e after close to 6 months, the total number of nodes has increased to 2204.
Here is the latest sheet containing the list of nodes with ASN, network name, IPv4 and IPv6 – http://link.anuragbhatia.com/fna30aug
Summary of the data and some findings for India
- The number of nodes increased by 27% within the last 6 months.
- On Reliance Jio network number of node increased by just 1 – which is a new node they put in Ludhiana, Punjab.
- In Delhi, a number of FNA nodes went up from 16 to 21. Four new additions are ACT (AS18209), MNR Broadband (AS133648), Facebook itself (AS63293) which is worth exploring) and GEONET GEOCITY NETWORK SOLUTIONS (AS45235).
This actually makes me wonder why I do not see any FNA nodes on my ex-employer Spectra AS10029 as yet. (30 Aug 2018 Update: I missed this, please see footer below)
- In case of Mumbai (or Bombay as used for BOM airport code), the number went up from 17 to 21. New additions HNS (AS38457), Airtel (AS9498) and Vortex Netsol (AS136334).
- For Chennai number stayed same at 6 (4 telco – Airtel, Jio, Vodafone, IDEA) and 2 broadband ISPs (ACT and Hathway).
- In Kolkata IDEA added the new FNA node. Rest all seems the same.
- I see zero active nodes in Dishnet Wireless (Aircel) now. Earlier there was one in Kolkata and one in Chennai.
- Still zero active nodes in India’s largest govt. incumbent operator BSNL AS9289. They clearly do not understand the value of content caching nodes.
- There’s a major growth in a number of FNA nodes in Airtel from 9 (in March) to 16 (now at the end of Aug). And for IDEA number went from 6 to 12. While the number of nodes in Vodafone stays same (14).
- There’s no node in any of Tata telecom companies.
Well, that’s all about for now. Have a good Rakshabandhan. 🙂
Update: 30th Aug 2018
My friends from Spectra pointed out that they do have a node and that made me to re-look at my scripts. Due to a bug in the scripts, I was not getting all the nodes. I have fixed the bug and updated the data in this post.