APNIC and RIPE NCC are doing a hackathon at APRICOT 2018. It just started today with some light interaction with various participating members yesterday. The theme of the hackathon is around IPv6. Many cool projects were suggested yesterday and teams started working today on certain shortlisted projects like:
- A tool for ranking CDNs - A tool based on RIPE Atlas data to rank CDNs based on latency across different regions.
- An IPv6 fun word game - Where anyone with a member account can suggest a word, and compete with other members who share more IPv6 addresses. It may include things like showcasing creative use of hexadecimal strings in an IPv6 address like Facebook popularly does face:b00c in their IPv6 pools.
- IPv4 and IPv6 network security - Study of attacks and overall security in IPv6. It would involve study and possibly a report on various attack vectors in the IPv6 domain.
- A countrywide report on IPv6 deployment - I have yet to see how it is different from existing other reports.
Let’s see how things go in next 12hrs. Super fun. Things should show up on Github in next few hours. :)
Disclaimer and misc points:
- It’s a hackathon and final thing may vary greatly from the original idea. Let’s see how things evolve.
- The final tool which uses such idea/code may be awesome but for next 12hrs it will be more around proof of concept and small demo instead of a full-fledged tool in certain cases.
- I am part of the jury for the hackathon.